Saturday, November 13, 2010

Reasoning Examples

*Reasoning by Analogy:  This type of reasoning is another form of inductive reasoning in which you compare two things that are logically similar.
            Example: Premise 1-  Alcohol is legal.
                            Premise 2-  Tobacco is legal.
                            Conclusion-  Marijuana should be legal.
This was an example from the book on page 253, but I thought it was a really good example because it relates to our lives today in that people were trying to legalize marijuana in California.
*Sign Reasoning:  An argument by sign declares two or more things are so closely related that the absence or presence of one indicates the presence or absence of the other(s).
            Example:  A footprint in the snow is a sign or indication that someone has just recently walked by.
*Causal Reasoning:  When we have reason to believe that the events of one occasion are related to the events of some other occasion. This is cause and effect.
            Example:  The house burned down because someone lit a match.
*Reasoning by Criteria:  You spend a lot of time using examples and evidence trying to explain why your reasoning is valid.
            Example:  If I wanted to go out to a party I would spend a lot of time explaining to my parents how much fun it would be and how many new people I would meet since I just recently moved from a different state.
*Reasoning by Example:  Giving examples in an argument.
            Example:  Me-“Mom can I drive over to my friends house?” Mom-“No because it is late and there are too many drunk and crazy drivers out on the road at this time of night.”
*Inductive Reasoning:  This type of reasoning uses our own past examples, observations, and sometimes experiences. 
            Example:  I had a horrible time in Wisconsin.  Therefore, I will probably never go back based on my past experiences there.
*Deductive Reasoning:  Where one believes that the premise is true, therefore the conclusion itself must also be true.
            Example:  You can not purchase cigarettes in the United States unless you are 18.
                        My brother is 18, so therefore he can purchase cigarettes.  

1 comment:

  1. Hi Blog Student! You have great examples for each type of reasoning. Some of these I can totally relate to. I totally agree with you that the first example you used was a great one that they had in the book. I think many other students can probably relate to that example. It was a great example to use too because of the recent voting that took place and one of the main props was Prop 19, to legalize marijuana. So I am sure that many who voted on Election Day can relate to the issue of marijuana being legalized since alcohol and tobacco are legal.

    ReplyDelete