Friday, September 3, 2010

Subjective/Objective Claims

Epstein explains a subjective claim as a claim that whether it is true or false depends on what someone thinks, believes, or feels. This type of claim has to do with more of an opinion base. Someone may feel that there claim is true, but when they ask someone else what they think they may feel the opposite. An example of a subjective claim:


My family is the best that anyone could ask for.

I always make this claim to other people because my family and I are really close. This claim is subjective because although I think that my family is the best, it is my opinion. Someone else may disagree with me or feel that there family is the best. The word “best” is a key word in this sentence which is often used when people are describing their feelings or opinions.

An objective claim, on the other hand, is a claim that is not subjective. Whether it is true or false does not depend on what anyone thinks or believes. This type of claim is based more on a true or false basis and can be verified as either true or false. An example of an objective claim:

I drive an eclipse spyder convertible.

I have used this claim many times already this semester in classes. The professor usually has the students talk to other students and get to know them and this is one of the questions that I ask or am asked. This is a true objective claim that is not based on feeing or belief. This claim is objective because it can either be verified as true or false.

No comments:

Post a Comment