Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Complex Argument Analysis pg. 225

I chose #2.
"I’m on my way to school.  1. I left five minutes late.  2. Traffic is heavy.  Therefore, I’ll be late for class.  So I might as well stop and get breakfast."
Argument: Yes, I believe this is an argument.  She is mainly arguing with herself about the situation and what to do about it.  By being late the person has left themselves with more choices, such as getting breakfast.
Conclusion: The conclusion is that since the person is already late they might as well get some breakfast to eat.
Additional premises needed?  Yes, I believe there are more premises that are necessary to make this a better argument.  The person was very vague and did not mention any reasons as to why they left five minutes late.  Maybe those five minutes would have been the difference between traffic and no traffic?  But no further explanation was given.
Identify any sub-argument:  The person thought that since they are already going to be late, being even later would not be a problem.
Good Argument?  I do not believe that this is a good argument.  More explanation was needed because the argument was very vague and did not give a detailed reasoning.  If this argument were to be given to a teacher I do not think that the teacher would be very understanding because the argument is not very valid.

I think that this exercise was useful.  It helped me to pick out the different parts of an argument and to understand what makes a good argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment